Category Archives: Engine Development

Game Client Testing

Still testing the Been There game client. I’m currently working on a minor bug that has been bothering me for a while. Other than that, things are still working out pretty well. I added a new feature to the game … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development, Music & Sound FX | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Littletown

After a couple of months, the Been There test world called “Littletown” is finally back up and running! I’ve been chasing down a bunch of little pesky bugs in the new servers. However, they seem to be running pretty smooth … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged | Leave a comment

Visual Studio Conformance Mode

I decided to enable the Conformance Mode (permissive-) option that was introduced in Visual Studio 2017. It’s supposed to help me write code that is both more correct, and more portable. I found out quickly that it reports a lot … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Network Server Driver

Finally, the new and drastically improved network server driver is working! I’m so excited! I have some quirks to work out still, but all is good. Now, I’m moving on to some encryption and hashing stuff that needs to be … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

What’s Been Going On?

Getting close to finishing up the network driver code for the servers. I’m finding that I want to re-factor a few network related things in the Orion Engine SDK. I’m finally getting close to a new public test of the … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Network Server

I’ve been working on the network server code over the past week. It’s modular in design, meaning I can replace the existing module on all of the server applications and they will automatically use the new, optimized code. I’m implementing … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Client Networking

I finally figured out what was causing problems with my network code! Man, that makes me feel good. Wow, I’ve been tracking this issue down for months! The client networking in the game is working pretty efficiently right about now. … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Visual Studio 2019

I just realized there is a new version of Visual Studio available. I’m currently in the process of upgrading all of the Orion Engine solutions to the 2019 release. I’d like to eventually upgrade my Team Foundation Server 2017 to … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Been There Game Network Client

Back to working on the network client code again. The network driver has been optimized, and re-designed for much better performance and scalability. The existing code was strictly for testing only. Now, I just need to wrangle the bug that … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Orion Genesis World Builder

I’ve been working on the Orion Genesis World Builder. The GUI needed some updates, so it would look better on Windows 10. Everything seems to be functioning pretty well now! More updates to follow soon…

Posted in Engine Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment