Category Archives: Game Development

Network Server

I’ve been working on the network server code over the past week. It’s modular in design, meaning I can replace the existing module on all of the server applications and they will automatically use the new, optimized code. I’m implementing … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Client Networking

I finally figured out what was causing problems with my network code! Man, that makes me feel good. Wow, I’ve been tracking this issue down for months! The client networking in the game is working pretty efficiently right about now. … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Been There Game Network Client

Back to working on the network client code again. The network driver has been optimized, and re-designed for much better performance and scalability. The existing code was strictly for testing only. Now, I just need to wrangle the bug that … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Server Status Hardware

I’ve created a Raspberry Pi Zero W device that I can use to monitor my servers.  The software periodically checks to make sure the web server is responding, and all of the game servers in the cluster are accepting connections.  … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Hardware | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Happy New Year 2018!

Well, it’s a new year already!  I look forward to continue working on the Orion Engine SDK and the Been There Game software.  I feel this is going to be a great, productive year! I logged into the game servers … Continue reading

Posted in Announcements, Engine Development, Game Development | Leave a comment

Network Code Refactoring

Something that has bugged me for a while is the current implementation of the network driver.  It was never meant to be production code, rather just a foundation to test and work from. The new implementation will use Windows Overlapped … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development | Leave a comment

Asset Manager Application

Finally just about finished with the Asset Manager.  It’s been partially complete for a while now.  Just enough to allow clients to self update from the server when they login. Now I have an application that can be used for … Continue reading

Posted in Engine Development, Game Development, Graphics, Music & Sound FX | Leave a comment

Bootstrap and the Self Extractor

The old setup bootstrap used to implement a fairly old Visual C Runtime.  This allowed it to run without any dependencies on the platforms that we were targeting.  The new bootstrap is compiled using Visual C++ 2017.  However, I’ve completely … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Leave a comment

Entering the ‘Been There’ World Again

I reached a major milestone today!  The game server software suite is working again (now it’s all native 64-bit code) and successfully installed on the new server hardware.  Today, I was finally able to login to the game world again … Continue reading

Posted in Announcements, Game Development | Leave a comment

Updated Game Server

I updated the game server for Been There this week.  It now supports chat commands from an administrator account to kick and/or ban users from the game.  If you kick a user, it immediately logs them out of the game … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Leave a comment